Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist indicated for:
- Prophylaxis and chronic treatment of asthma in patients 12 months of age and older.
- Acute prevention of Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction (EIB) in patients 6 years of age and older.
- Relief of symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis (AR): Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis (SAR) in patients 2 years of age and older, and perennial allergic rhinitis (PAR) in patients 6 months of age and older.
Leukotriene receptor antagonists
The cysteinyl leukotrienes (LTC4, LTD4, LTE4) are products of arachidonic acid metabolism and are released from various cells, including mast cells and eosinophils. These eicosanoids bind to cysteinyl leukotriene receptors (CysLT) found in the human airway. Montelukast is an orally active compound that binds with high affinity and selectivity to the CysLT1 receptor. Montelukast inhibits physiologic actions of LTD4 at the CysLT1 receptor without any agonist activity.
Dosage & Administration
- Asthma: Once daily in the evening for patients 12 months and older.
- Acute prevention of exercise-induced bronchoconstriction: One tablet at least 2 hours before exercise for patients 6 years of age and older.
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis: Once daily for patients 2 years and older.
- Perennial allergic rhinitis: Once daily for patients 6 months and older.
- 15 years and older: One 10-mg tablet.
- 6 to 14 years: One 5-mg tablet.
- 2 to 5 years: One 4-mg.